Monday, May 5, 2008

Software Categorization

I am a pack rat. And while I am trying to pursue a more uncluttered life I still want to keep any applications/patches/utilities that I download. My problem is that I do not have a good system of organizing the files.

What I want is a system of categorizing software that will work for storage as well as portable apps on a thumb drive or CD/DVD. The system also needs to be intuitive, and easily extensible. Also, I save files for Windows (all flavors), as well as Linux, Dos, Pocket PC, and a few others, so I need an easy way to indicate what OS type it belongs to.

Currently I am thinking about using the following as my top level of organization:
  • Entertainment - Games, Gaming tools, Game creator toolkits
  • Hardware - Drivers, Hardware tools
  • Multimedia - Audio, Graphics, Video
  • Networking - Browsers, FTP, Email clients, etc...
  • Operating Systems - Windows, Linux, Dos, etc...
  • Productivity - Office suites and apps, Finance apps, common and general use apps, ect...
  • Programming - App Dev libraries, IDE's, runtimes, tools
  • Security - Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Firewalls, Hacking tools
  • Utilities - Auditing, Compression, Monitoring, etc...
  • Virtualization - VMWare, Xen, Emulators

No comments: